Product Submissions for Food Manufacturers
Prior to submission, the submitter must first verify that their products meet the following requirements:
1. USDA Final Rule for Food Packages (federal food regulations)
2. WIC Authorized Food List Shopping Guide (WAFL SG) — In addition to the WAFL SG, please refer to Regulatory Bulletin 2012-02 and Regulatory Alert 2013-02
3. USDA Information for Food Manufacturers
Please read below for further instructions.
! IMPORTANT REMINDERS: !
For Non-Brand Specific Food categories, a product does not need to be included in the California WIC Food List Database to be eligible for purchase—the only requirements for eligibility and purchase are that it must meet the eligibility requirements listed in the WAFL SG.
- It is the responsibility of the submitter to notify the CA WIC Program as soon as possible of all product changes (and the effective date of each change) to any of their products that are listed in the California WIC Food List Database; examples of product changes include, but are not limited to: package design, container size, ingredients, and/or discontinuance of a product or eligible size. For Brand-Specific Foods, notification detailing product changes must be e-mailed to WICFoods@CDPH.ca.gov. For Non-Brand Specific Foods, product change notifications must be made by using the online product submission tools found on the Product Submissions webpage to resubmit the product, with a note explaining the change(s).
Brand Specific Foods
Brand Specific Foods are products in food categories identified by brand in the WAFL SG. Foods fall into this group when Federal regulations outline very specific nutritional criteria that make it difficult for participants to identify eligibility status on their own. Current Brand Specific Food categories include Breakfast Cereal (including Instant Oatmeal/Instant Oats and Crisp(y) Rice Cereal), Soy, Tofu, and Infant Cereal.
The California WIC Program is not currently soliciting submissions for Brand Specific Food categories. This page will be updated with information on how manufacturers can submit their products for review and approval when California WIC is soliciting submissions for these food categories.
Non-Brand Specific Foods
Non-brand specific food products are products not specified by brand in the WIC Authorized Food List Shopping Guide (WAFL SG). The criteria for these foods are listed in the WAFL SG under the headings “can buy” and “cannot buy.” Products for food categories that are not identified as brand specific in the WAFL SG and meet the specific criteria listed in the WAFL SG can be added to the Food List Database on an ongoing basis. Manufacturers can submit products that meet eligibility requirements as they become available.
1. Submit products using the online submission tool (link) below.
All submissions must include an uploaded single file with images of the product labeling, including: front label, back label, nutrition facts panel, legible ingredients list, and UPC (12 digits).
Max upload file size is 5000 KB; allowable file types include: pdf, doc, xls, jpg, jpeg, gif, png, mp3, and mpeg.
Name each image using the 12 digit UPC.
Note: If the online tool for the product you would like to submit is not accessible below, we are not ready to collect product information for that food type at this time. Please check back at a later date or email WICFoods@CDPH.ca.gov with your inquiry.
Fruits and Vegetables
Note: to request a food category change, see Request for Food Category Changes