IMPORTANT: Any person who possesses a source of radiation subject to licensure or registration is required to post a current copy of California Code of Regulations Title 17, Division 1, Chapter 5, Subchapter 4, along with a copy of the referenced 10 CFR 20 (January 1, 2008).
An official hard copy of those regulations can be obtained from www.barclaysccr.com or by calling 1-800-888-3600 and ask for the "Radiologic Health Branch" or "Radiology Package (includes 10 CFR 20)" products.
You may also view all California regulations online. However, the California Code of Regulations Website consists of 28 Code titles and contains the regulations of approximately 200 regulatory agencies. Before using the California Code of Regulations Website, please click on the "How to use this Website" button on the opening screen. When searching, combine your keywords with radiation, radiologic, or nuclear in order to limit the number of hits returned.
1. Regulations regarding the possession and use of radioactive materials and X-ray machines are located on the California Code of Regulations Website under:
- TITLE 17, Public Health, Division 1, Chapter 5, Sanitation (Environmental), Subchapter 4, Radiation (commencing at section 30100) Title 10, Code of Federal Regulations, part 20, (10 CFR 20) sections 20.1001 through 20.2402 and Appendices A through G, (January 1, 2008) are incorporated by reference. Refer to Title 17, California Code of Regulations, Section 30253 for exceptions to 10 CFR 20. Click here to access 10 CFR 20 (Jan. 1, 2008).
2. Regulations regarding certificates, permits, and approval for the education, performance, and practice of radiology and radiologic technology in California are located on the California Code of Regulations Website under:
- TITLE 17, Public Health, Division 1, Chapter 5, Sanitation (Environmental), Subchapter 4.5, Radiologic Technology (commencing at section 30400)
3. Regulations regarding certificates for performing nuclear medicine technology are located on the California Code of Regulations Website under:
- TITLE 17, Public Health, Division 1, Chapter 5, Sanitation (Environmental), Subchapter 4.7, Nuclear Medicine Technology (commencing at section 30500)
4. For Proposed Regulations, click here. Links to specific proposal will be provided here when the proposal is noticed in the California Regulatory Register Notice published by the Office of Administrative Law.
5. LAWS: The regulations were developed to implement, interpret and specify the law. The laws authorizing these regulations can be found in the California Health and Safety Code.
- For the Radiation Control Law see California Health and Safety Code sections 114960 et seq.
- For the Radiologic Technology Act see California Health and Safety Code sections 106965 – 107111, & 114840 – 114896.
- For laws pertaining to nuclear medicine technology see California Health and Safety Code sections 107150 – 107175.